Fairford History Society

Monthly Archives: April 2009

The Polish Resettlement Camp, Fairford 1947-1959

 

This year marks the 50th anniPolish Camp barracksversary of the closure of the Polish Hostel at Fairford Park. This camp housed Polish families displaced duringWorld War II.

The Ernest Cook Trust is kindly erecting a plaque which was funded by the Polish Ex-Combatants Association (SPK) at the former entrance on Leafield Road (at the start of the footpath to the Cascades). Previously there was nothing to mark the place were over 1,200 Polish people lived before moving elsewhere.

Mr Czeslaw Maryszczak, the Chairman of the SPK will formally unveil the plaque at 11 am on 30th May 2009, and there will be a display and refreshments provided by Fairford History Society at the Community Centre afterwards.

Alicja Swiatek Christofides, who was born at the Hostel is organising the event and is keen to get in touch with people or their relatives who lived there. They all will be invited to the ceremony. Please contact enquiry@fairfordhistory.org.uk for further information.