Fairford History Society

Fairford Heritage Open Day – 9 September 2017

The Dovecote at Fairford proved a great attraction at Fairford’s first Heritage Open Day organised by Fairford History Society on the 9 September. Over 80 people were able to see the impressive 1,196 pigeon holes contained in the walls of the Dovecote and the unusual central pillar. Visitors were also able to visit the Estate Yard which is all that remains of Fairford Park House demolished in the late1950s to make way for Farmor’s School. The Ernest Cook Trust Offices are in the yard and it was with their permission both of these sites were open to the public.

View of the Obelisk from Ernest Cook Trust Estate yard

View of the Obelisk from Ernest Cook Trust Estate yard

Fairford-Dovecote-a-Grade-II-listed-building

Fairford-Dovecote-a-Grade-II-listed-building

The-inside-of-Fairford-Dovecote-with-its-1196-pigeon-holes

The-inside-of-Fairford-Dovecote-with-its-1196-pigeon-holes

At Fairford Community Centre there were displays recording other ‘lost’ buildings in the town e.g. the Magistrate’s Court and Police Station, the three chapels, lost pubs etc. On view were items collected by Fairford History Society over the years and examples of oral history and local archive film. St Mary’s Church tours were led by Mike Godsall and Geoff Hawkes.

Fairford's Lost and Hidden Past display at the Community Centre

Fairford’s Lost and Hidden Past display at the Community Centre

It was also the launch of Fairford Walkers are Welcome which aims to attract visitors to the town. Malcolm Cutler, Chair of Fairford Walkers are Welcome presented the certificate of accreditation to Mark Dudley, Deputy Mayor of Fairford. Over 30 people took part in the Heritage Walk led by Syd Flatman. There was also a guided Tomb Trail around St Mary’s Churchyard led by Chris Hobson who gave interesting background to some of the churchyard’s inhabitants. A River Walk took place in the afternoon led by Malcolm Cutler.

Syd-Flatmans-Heritage-Walk

Syd-Flatmans-Heritage-Walk